* I write three columns and sell many photos for three national magazines (for Hobby Farm, Paleo and Chickens, below).
* Modern Farmer has published seven of my stories about growing hops and ramps and other features including "The Do's and Don'ts of WWOOFing"and bought several photos.
* Rodale's Organic Life (formerly Organic Gardening) has published four of my stories and one of my photos.
* American Gardener has published my story and photo about sister regions.
* Carolina Gardener has published several of my articles and photos.
* Bicycle Times has published my essays and photos about biking in Alaska and biking with our dog, Abbey.
* Chickens magazine hired me in 2013 to write the "Coop Builder" column on tools and techniques for creating a backyard Hentopia. Have also sold them multiple feature articles.
* Horticulture magazine has published six of my articles, an essay and about a dozen photos.
* Urban Farm magazine hired me in 2010 to write their "Green Thumb" column and multiple feature articles for five years until they pulled the plug on the magazine. (my column and features now run in Hobby Farm magazine).
* Paleo magazine has carried my Feral Feast column on foraging wild mushrooms and plants since 2016.
* Brewing Beer magazine published my story about growing backyard hops.
* Hobby Farm and Hobby Farm Home magazines have bought several articles and photos. My Green Thumb column now runs in Hobby Farm.
* Fine Gardening has published two of my stories and a couple of photos.
* I write occasional op-eds for the Durham News, Durham Herald-Sun and the News & Observer.
* My op-ed about the Confederate battle flag ran in the Richmond Times-Dispatch and was reprinted in four other papers reaching almost 750,000 readers. Find out more, including links, at my webpage for Southern Working Class Political Consulting.
And here’s what one of my editors, Roger Sipes of Hobby Farm, wrote to one of his colleagues about my work as a columnist:
“Every column he writes, I learn something I didn't know. Frank also supplies photos for each column he writes. He's always on time and easy to communicate with (always returns emails promptly). Basically, he's an ideal contributor.”
I have been a free lance writer and photographer since 1990. Why? Because I needed something to do on rainy days when I couldn't create gardens. Getting older means I don't want to be outside working so much in the summer and winter, so I've ramped up my writing and have established some good affiliations with editors at several national magazines. I'm also working on a book proposal for a publisher. Below, you can find links to my essays and articles in NC publications from the last 20 years.
Some Old News:
Check out my blog at www.liberatedgardener.net and leave me a comment or question.
The September issue of Fine Gardening has my story about creating a stable, attractive gravel pathway.
The April issue of Horticulture
magazine has two of my stories and 5 pictures: Deer-Resistant Gardens
and a 3 Sisters-inspired garden with purple raspberries, alpine
strawberries and asparagus.
Check out my essay on shrinking our lawn to a Lawnlet in the
issue of Horticulture magazine. I'll have more stories coming out in
Horticulture in 2010 on deer-resistant gardens, putting a green roof on a
doghouse and fruit growing.
I also have a story coming out in the Dec./Jan. issue of
Backyard Poultry magazine about our successful campaign to allow hens for eggs in the city limits of Durham, NC.
Look for my monthly local column in the Durham News on the first Sunday of the month.
Read my columns on politics, environment and art in The Durham News:
Read my work on gardening, politics, environment and art in the Independent Weekly:http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Archive?searchPhrase=Frank+Hyman&
Access my garden stories in the N&O Home and Garden section:http://www.newsobserver.com/
and search for "Frank Hyman", "garden" and check the bottom 6 or so stories on the list. (sorry, their website doesn't make it easy to find my work.)
Read my work in the Chapel Hill News:http://www.chapelhillnews.com/opinion/guest_columns/story/11124.html
Access my work in the Carolina Gardener magazine:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&domains=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.carolinagardener.com&q=%22Frank+Hyman%22&btnG=Search&sitesearch=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.carolinagardener.com